Today's best vision supplements can do more than ever before. They are now evolving beyond eye health to boost vision performance.
Up until now, the vast majority of eye health supplements focused on one thing: Protecting macular health against vision loss by supplying natural antioxidants.
This is an important role, but somewhat limited in scope: It mostly helps seniors who have age-related macular degeneration health concerns.
- In 2020, eye supplements are evolving into exciting new formulas that can do more for vision for a wider variety of people.
This is a good thing, because we are using our eyes in different ways now, and need to protect our eyes against the damaging and limiting factors that are now present in our modern age.
In addition to supporting overall eye health, today's best vision supplements can help to:
- Nourish and optimize the macula to maintain crystal-clear, high-resolution central vision
- Support good night vision and improve the eyes' contrast sensitivity
- Accelerate visual recovery from glare and flash blindness
- Energize and activate the eyes, helping with visual fatigue and computer vision syndrome
- Promote fine visual functions that enhance the eyes' ability to detect motion
- Support healthy hand-eye coordination and help to keep reflexes on-point
With this new range of benefits, eye supplements can now be used as flat-out performance enhancers.
That means they can make a difference you can feel across work, play, athletics, exercise, hobbies, gaming and esports, and overall quality of life.
To unlock the full potential of your eyesight and elevate your overall visual performance, you must combine today's best eye nutrients, in their most advanced and effective forms, and take them on a daily basis over time.
The best vision supplements of 2020 include:
- Lutein + Zeaxanthin
- Blackcurrant Extract
- Bilberry Extract
- A Multivitamin
Taking these eye nutrients together in a stack creates nutritional synergy and boosts visual performance from many angles.
This guide discusses how each of these eye supplements can work to both optimize your vision and support your long-range eye health in 2020.
Best Individual Eye Health Supplements
Lutein + Zeaxanthin
Lutein and zeaxanthin are botanical antioxidants that are typically sourced from marigold flowers. They are also found in some foods, including leafy greens.
Lutein and zeaxanthin are bright yellow plant pigments with high antioxidant activity that naturally migrate to the eye's retina before settling in the macula.
The macula itself is also yellow in color. It has a layer of macular pigment that protects it from damage.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin help to nourish and reinforce the macular pigment.
Thicker, healthier macular pigment is associated with better long-range eye health, as well as enhanced overall vision performance.
- Lutein in particular shows great promise for macular health: it has been shown in research to boost Macular Pigment Optical Density (MPOD, a measure of macular health) by 36%.1
Together, lutein and zeaxanthin uphold sharp and clear vision by protecting your eyes and optimizing their structures and functions.
In 2020, lutein and zeaxanthin's natural protective nutrition is particularly helpful. That's because more and more people are spending more and more time staring at various screens and electronic devices.
This is a concern because many screens still emit blue light rays that penetrate all the way through the eyes' vitreous humor to generate damaging free radicals within the macula itself.2
Lutein and zeaxanthin are prized for their ability to protect the retina from the damaging effects of blue UV rays.3
They are also the only botanical antioxidants known to science to reach the eyes lens, where they similarly protect against damage and may help to preserve lens health and clarity.4
In addition to being great for overall long-range eye health, lutein and zeaxanthin are now demonstrating distinct visual performance enhancements in emerging research.
They have been suggested in research and reviews to help with:
- Flash and glare recovery. Lutein and zeaxanthin seem to speed up the amount of time it takes to regain clear vision after blinding light exposure5
- Contrast sensitivity enhancement. This visual performance metrics refers to our ability to visually detect an object against the challenging background or other sight-obscuring setting6
- High-res central vision support. Lutein and zeaxanthin help to optimize visual acuity.7 This effect has been attributed to their novel support for macular health.
Best Lutein and Zeaxanthin for Vision Supplements: FloraGLO®
The only lutein patented for blue-light eye protection and vision enhancement FloraGLO® is purified lutein from non-GMO marigolds.
Made with unique nutrition technology including bioavailability-boosting microencapsulation, FloraGLO® is backed by 80+ human clinical trials. It is also the #1 doctor recommended dietary supplement lutein brand.
Of all the brands on the market, FloraGLO® is the only one that is patented to boost vision performance and fight blue light-induced eye damage.8
- Many of the aforementioned vision performance benefits associated with lutein and zeaxanthin were discovered in research using the FloraGLO® brand, specifically.
To ensure the best benefits, opt for FloraGLO® in your eye supplement. Regular lutein and zeaxanthin forms found in some products (or from your diet) simply do not have the same body of evidence demonstrating eyesight enhancement.
Blackcurrant + Bilberry
We will cover these two eye-supportive berries under one heading because they are closely related and help to optimize visual performance in similar ways.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin are yellow plant pigments antioxidants.
- Blackcurrant and bilberry supply purple plant pigment antioxidants
Together, black currant and bilberry supply dozens of botanical antioxidants.
The most important for eye health and visual performance are anthocyanins, anthocyanosides, and a fascinating compound called C3G (Cyanidin-3-Glucoside).
These active ingredients help the eyes by:
- Enhancing dark adaptation,9 a benefit attributed mostly to C3G's influence on a retinal signaling and "night vision" compound called rhodopsin
- Promoting micorcirculation to the eyes.10 Ocular circulation supports visual performance and long-range eye health.
- Supporting retinal signaling speed, optimizing the impulses that coordinate your eyes with your central nervous system (CNS)
It is worth noting that the potent botanical antioxidants in black currant and bilberry can help to provide nutritional support for eye health over the long term.
But these dynamic berries are surging in popularity now for their performance-enhancing potential.
Their combined bioactivities are suggested to help with many aspects of eyesight that add up to a competitive advantage – things like:
- High speed vision
- Improved night vision
- Fast, accurate motion detection
- Enhanced visual tracking of moving objects
Best Blackcurrant + Bilberry for Vision Supplements: Standardized Extracts
For the best vision performance benefits, look for standardized extracts of blackcurrant and bilberry.
Standardization is a process that calibrates botanical ingredients so they provide an exact and consistent level of the active compounds that you want.
In this case, look for black currant that is standardized for anthocyanins and Cyanidin-3-Glucosides (C3G); and bilberry that is standardized for anthocyanosides.
You may recognize saffron as one of the world's most prized and expensive spices. And, if you have ever seen saffron up close, you may know it for its a beautiful golden hue.
Just like lutein and zeaxanthin, saffron supplies plant pigments antioxidants in the yellow color spectrum.
Saffron's primary antioxidants associated with macular nourishment and health are called safranal and crocin.
Saffron is believed to combine effectively with lutein and zeaxanthin – reinforcing and strengthening their "yellow" nutritional support with vibrant "golden" antioxidants for healthy macular function and long-range macular wellness.
Saffron is also increasingly believed to boost some measures of visual performance. Early research has suggested that saffron may help with:
- Retinal flicker sensitivity in those with eye concerns:11 As the name suggests, this measure of visual performance is associated with enhanced motion detection eyesight
- Protection against light-induced retinal stress: Saffron may help to buffer the macula against light exposure12
Best Saffron for Vision: Standardized for Safranal
Just like black currant and bilberry, saffron delivers the greatest and most reliable vision support when it was taken in standardized form.
In this case, look for saffron that is standardized to supply a precise and consistent level of its most important eye-supportive antioxidant: Safranal.
Next on our list of the best vision nutrients to look for in 2020 is astaxanthin.
Continuing the color theme, astaxanthin is a pigment antioxidant in the pink-red-orange color range.
Astaxanthin's bright hue can be seen in nature. It is the pigment that gives color to red algae, pink salmon, crimson crustaceans and even bright pink flamingos.
Like the pigment antioxidants we discussed earlier, astaxanthin's bright hue reflects its powerful antioxidant activity.
- Astaxanthin complements the antioxidant eye support of lutein, zeaxanthin, black currant, bilberry and saffron with its own unique vision-enhancing activity.
Researchers have suggested that astaxanthin's antioxidant activity appears to protect the eye's retina.13
Astaxanthin also helps to enhance microcirculation to the eye's retina, which may further promote eye health and visual performance.14
Healthy ocular circulation helps optimize delivery of energizing oxygen and eye-supportive nutrition to the eye's various structures.
Astaxanthin has also been suggested in research to help reduce eye fatigue.15
Astaxanthin has enjoyed skyrocketing popularity in all types of nutritional supplements in recent years, but is relatively new as an ingredient in eye supplements.
- A little goes a long way: Because it is so powerful, so huge doses are not required to deliver eyesight benefits.
However, you should always look for high-quality astaxanthin to ensure the best possible eye health results.
Best Astaxanthin for Vision Supplements: Algae-Sourced
Astaxanthin in supplements may be sourced from a variety of natural origins, including shellfish.
The best astaxanthin the form, however, comes from algae -- Haematococcus pluvialis, to be exact.
This reddish-brown algae is a rich source of astaxanthin, with other advantages that make it the best choice:
- Algae is actually the largest biomass in the world. It can be grown and harvested quickly and easily – making it highly sustainable and eco-friendly.
- Algae is also produced under tightly controlled conditions, which helps with overall cleanliness and quality – more so than astaxanthin supplements that are sourced from crustaceans and other aquatic life.
Best Overall Vision Supplement:
Performance Lab® Vision
Performance Lab® Vision is an eye supplement that combines all of our best vision ingredients of 2020 into one clean, powerful and effective formula. It supplies:
- Lutein 10 mg + Zeaxanthin 2 mg as FloraGLO®
- European Blackcurrant, 25 mg extract standardized to 25% anthocyanins and 2.2% Cyanidin-3-Glucosides (C3G); plus 300 mg of raw blackcurrant powder with full-spectrum antioxidants
- European Bilberry Extract (standardized 25% anthocyanosides), 25 mg
- Saffron (standardized to 0.3% safranal), 1 mg
- Astaxanthin from Algae, 1 mg
With this dynamic combination, Vision is a single eye supplement that can do it all. It enhances multiple aspects of long-range eye health.
But it really emphasizes more immediate visual performance enhancements that can give an an edge in work, recreation, competition and life itself.
Performance Lab® Vision works by:
- Supporting high-res eyesight, glare reduction and flash recovery
- Enhancing night vision and contrast sensitivity
- Promoting visual motion detection, reaction time and hand-eye coordination
- Reducing eye fatigue and screen-induced vision strain
Performance Lab® Vision is also 100% clean, safe, natural and healthy:
- Supports a safe, natural and legal edge across all vision-related activities
- Supplies top research-backed nutrients for long-range eye health
- Helps shield macula from the harmful effects of blue-wavelength light rays
- Patented, doctor-recommended FloraGLO® lutein + zeaxanthin from marigold
- Prebiotic-infused, vegan-friendly NutriCaps® made from pullulan (fermented tapioca)
- Banned substance tested, safe and legal for competitive performance
An ultramodern eye enhancer for crystal-clear vision + long-range eye health, Performance Lab® Vision does it all.
Take this dynamic eyesight innovation and enhance motion detection, focus speed, night vision, contrast detection, reaction time glare recovery and more.
Take Performance Lab® Vision over time to support long-range eye health.
Best Multivitamin for Vision: NutriGenesis® Multi
Vitamins and minerals are crucial for eye health.
The US National Institute of Health's National Eye Institute AREDS study is one of the most important eye supplement initiatives of all time.
AREDS showed that a high-dose supplement regimen of antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene) plus zinc significantly reduced the risk of vision issues in high risk individuals.16
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi formulas for men and women are a great way to ensure that you get the most important basic essential vitamins and minerals for lasting eye health, including:
- Vitamin A (as Retinol & Beta-Carotene), 2000 IU
- Vitamin C, 60 mg
- Vitamin E, 30 IU
- Zinc, 15 mg (Men's Formula), 10 mg (Women's Formula)
- Copper, 1.5 mg
NutriGenesis® supplies all the best vitamins and minerals for eye health in a clean, absorbable and effective form.
Made with Performance Lab®’s own proprietary nutrition technology, NutriGenesis® nutrients are bioengineered with whole-food cofactors that boost absorption and maximize benefits.
Because they are grown on cultures in a sterile lab, NutriGenesis® are also the cleanest, most ethical and eco-friendly nutrients humans can consume.
Performance Lab® Vision + NutriGenesis® Multi are the two best supplements you can take for both sharp vision performance and long-range eye health.
In the US National Eye Institute's AREDS 2 follow-up study to AREDS, researchers replaced beta carotene, which is associated with health risks in smokers, with lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Researchers found that lutein and zeaxanthin were a safe and effective replacement for beta carotene in those seeking to support macular health.17
When you take Performance Lab® Vision + NutriGenesis® Multi, you get full-spectrum eye health support: The most extensively studied antioxidants for supporting active, performance-enhanced eyesight and long-range vision health.