As we age into late adulthood, our caloric needs decline.
Meaning that we need to eat less to get by in our later years.
This poses a significant problem - a decrease in calorie intake also involves a decrease in nutrient intake...
...which then leads to a couple of questions:
- How are we supposed to maintain adequate nutrient levels with such low calorie demands?
- Especially considering the high prevalence of nutrient-deficient “empty” calorie foods in the modern diet?
Ideally, the best way to maintain optimal micronutrient (vitamin, mineral, amino, antioxidant, etc.) levels would be to acquire them through a rigorous, whole-food diet.
Even so, adding a multivitamin supplement to your daily routine may not only help sustain a firm nutrient foundation to your diet. But also help maintain the energy levels required to maintain such a rigorous, whole-food diet.
Tough enough for the active senior male...
Highly correlated with age-related cognitive and physical decline, nutritional deficiencies tend to affect older adults (aged > 65) based on many factors related to changes in nutritional need, intake, metabolism, access, and more.
In this article, we cover the male health advantages of taking a multivitamin supplement, as well as a full breakdown of the Best Multivitamin for Senior Men: Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men.
So, let’s jump into it!
The Beginner’s Guide on Multivitamins for Seniors
Let’s start here: are multivitamins necessary?
Whether you’re old or young, male or female, the question of the importance of multivitamin supplements is a valid one. Especially considering how modern food processing has robbed the modern diet of so many essential nutrients.
If we replace the word “necessary” with “essential,” the answer is: yes, multivitamins are essential to a healthy, active lifestyle.
This is because multivitamins supply vitamins and minerals that are essential to the body, meaning that the body can only obtain them through the diet. Granted, while you could acquire all the key essential micronutrients from a comprehensive diet, this is an increasingly difficult task as we age.
With that in mind, as we enter our older years, taking an effective multivitamin supplement becomes more and more of a game-changer when it comes to ensuring a healthy, active lifestyle.
For senior men, in particular, the following vitamins and minerals are exceptionally important.
List of Key Vitamins and Minerals for Senior Male Health
Though an effective multivitamin for senior men should include all essential vitamins and minerals, the micronutrients that are particularly advantageous for male health include:
- Zinc: as a precursor unit to testosterone synthesis, zinc status directly correlates with testosterone status, making zinc one of the manliest minerals that should be in every male health multivitamin.
- Vitamin D: another micronutrient directly correlated with testosterone status, vitamin D is commonly deficient, especially under conditions of low sunlight exposure and aging.
- Magnesium: in older men, magnesium levels are strongly and independently associated with the activities of anabolic testosterone and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1).
- Boron: a somewhat underappreciated mineral, boron has a link to free testosterone activity potentially due to this mineral’s inhibition of aromatase, an enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to estrogen.
- B Vitamins: supplementation of B-vitamins, namely vitamin B12, plays a key role in sustaining healthy cognitive performance in older adults, due to the importance of B-vitamins to brain health and neurochemical status.
Due to dietary and age-related factors, older men tend to run low on these vitamins and minerals, which partly illustrates why vitality, virility, and cognition also tend to decline with age.
However, just increasing your intake of these listed vitamins and minerals isn’t enough to raise them to optimal levels. You’ll want to these micronutrients in high quality forms at adequate dosages, delivered in a safe, natural, and healthy formula.
With that in mind, here’s a brief glance at the best all-in-one multivitamin for senior men, which supplies these micronutrients—and then some—in a clean, green formula.
Best Multivitamin Supplement for Senior Men:
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men is an vegan and vegetarian-friendly ultramodern multivitamin stack designed for overall male health and fitness with particular advantages for senior and men over 50.
Bioengineered with natural cofactors that boost absorption and maximize bio-benefits, NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals are far superior to your standard, hard-to-absorb multivitamin ingredients.
NutriGenesis® Multi for Men benefits male health by:
- Replenishing depleted micronutrient levels associated with poor nutritional status or age-related micronutrient decline.
- Establishing foundational micronutrient support for healthy whole-body biological performance and athletic enhancement.
- Supporting both daily and long-range health via both direct and indirect nutritional pathways involved in virtually all body systems.
- Stacking additional male-supportive vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, vitamin D, boron, and more.
Much of male health and testosterone status depends upon micronutrient status, which helps explain why we see parallel drops in male virility and T levels as age-related micronutrient deficiency increases with… well, with age.
However, fortunately, by taking Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men daily and consistently, you may help sustain heightened energy and vitality levels with this formula’s comprehensive, highly bioavailable stack of 17+ essential vitamins and minerals.
Supplement Facts: NutriGenesis® Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamin A+ (as Retinol and Beta-Carotene), Vitamin C+, Vitamin D+, Vitamin E+, Vitamin K+ (K1 & K2), Vitamin B1+, Vitamin B2+, Niacin+, Vitamin B6+, Folate+, Vitamin B12+, Biotin+, Pantothenic Acid+, Calcium+, Iron+, Iodine+, Magnesium+, Zinc+, Selenium+, Copper+, Manganese+, GTF Chromium+, Molybdenum+, Potassium+, Inositol+, Boron+, Vanadium+
Continue reading to learn more about why senior men should take a multivitamin supplement to improve their overall health and fitness...
Why Senior Men Should Take a Multivitamin
Simply put, senior men should take a multivitamin for their health.
And health in the broadest sense, because there are virtually no bodily systems not influenced by essential micronutrients.
Though we typically emphasize the importance of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) in our diets—how increasing your protein intake can help with lean muscle growth and cutting back on simple carbs can help optimize your metabolism, etc., etc.—there would be no macronutrients without their subcomponents: micronutrients.
While micronutrients encompass a broad range of compounds, the two micronutrients of interest here are:
- Vitamins: these are organic compounds, meaning they contain carbon and are synthesized by plants and animals (i.e., living organisms).
- Minerals: these are inorganic compounds, meaning they primarily come from the earth, soil, water, etc. before being absorbed by plants.
Everyone needs vitamins and minerals; however, as suggested by the various “personalized” multivitamin formulas (e.g., multis for men, for women, for pregnancy, etc.), the amounts of certain vitamins and minerals we need may vary due to certain life factors, such as age, gender, and level of activity.
For senior men, emphasizing certain vitamins and minerals in the diet may help curtail noticeable age-related declines in sexual, metabolic, athletic, and cognitive functions—and more—by ameliorating micronutrient deficiencies linked to male aging.
The Male Health Benefits of Taking a Daily Multivitamin
For men, taking a daily multivitamin can benefit the following health systems:
- Sexual Health – by co-facilitating synthesis of sex hormones, such as testosterone, several micronutrients help keep the body hormonally optimized.
- Body Composition – again, linked to testosterone production, micronutrients may assist with the metabolic growth of lean muscle mass, as well as thermogenic fat loss.
- Visual Health – while many patterns in visual loss are genetic, some age-related decline in ocular health can be attributed to certain micronutrient deficiencies.
- Energy Levels – the body needs fuel (in the form of micronutrients) to burn fuel (in the form of food), so to speak; by co-facilitating key metabolic pathways, some vitamins and minerals can help keep natural energy production up to speed.
- Cognitive Health – decline in mental performance is inevitable, but it may also be improved via various behavioral and nutritional techniques, such as supplementing nootropics (cognitive enhancers) and multivitamins.
Men engaged in a busy, active lifestyle (or are pursuing a busier, more active way of living) may significantly sustain and improve their physiology by augmenting their diet with a clean, comprehensive multi for men.
While multivitamins aren’t a one-for-one replacement with a whole-food diet, they may help fill in the nutritional void common to modern eating habits.
Stack with Performance Lab® Flex to Combat Joint Pain and Stiffness
Pairing Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men with Performance Lab® Flex, a joint-supportive formula for optimal flexibility, comfort, and connective tissue longevity, may help further combat the aches and pains attendant upon aging.
With a combination of all-natural herbal extracts and compounds, Flex can help you stay limber and active by:
- Promoting faster, longer-lasting joint relief
- Supporting flexible, resilient ligaments and tendons
- Bolstering joint-lubricating synovial fluid
- Maintaining cushy, well-hydrated cartilage for joint shock absorption
Taken daily, Performance Lab® Flex works well with NutriGenesis® Multi for Men in replenishing achy, hard-working tissues with natural compounds that nourish active health and performance.
Supplement Facts: CurcuWIN® Turmeric (20% Curcuminoids), AprèsFlex® Boswellia serrata (20% 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-β-boswellic acid [AKBA]), Glucosamine Sulfate 2KCL, Mythocondro® Chondroitin Sulfate, OptiMSM® Methylsulfonylmethane, NutriGenesis® Strontium+
Learn more about the Best Joint Supplements here.
The BIG Problem(s) with the Multivitamin Supplement Industry
The multivitamin industry is ripe with weak, ineffective multivitamin supplements, so much so that many customers have written off multivitamins altogether.
This isn’t necessarily because they’ve stopped believing in the importance of essential vitamins and minerals.
It’s simply because many multivitamins don’t work. Here are a few reasons why:
- Poor Ingredient Quality – not all vitamin and mineral forms are of the same quality; for example, pyridoxine HCl is an inferior vitamin B6 form to the superior P-5-P form, which has a greater bioavailability.
- Low Ingredient Dosages – in addition to poor ingredient quality, many multi stacks supply poor ingredient quantity, namely in the dosage department, by failing to supply a bio-effective amount of its key ingredients.
- Artificial Additives – capsules, tablets, powders—whichever your preferred form of supplement delivery, artificial additives are never necessary when it comes to multivitamins. The additives, like the ingredients, should be clean and all-natural.
If you’re wondering how to figure out if a supplement is good quality, adequately dosed, and free from artificial additives, worry no more.
In the next section, we’ll explain exactly what to look for in an effective multivitamin for men’s health.
What to Look for in an Effective Men’s Health Multivitamin
Having the same essential vitamins and minerals don’t make two multivitamins inherently equal. There are several factors to take into consideration, such as:
Vitamins and minerals supplied in high-quality, easy-to-absorb forms is key to the efficacy of a multivitamin stack. Though, technically, a multivitamin formula could supply a mix of “good” and “bad” ingredient forms, multivitamin supplements tend to be consistent on this front. For point of reference, look to the B-vitamins:
- B3: Niacinamide is better than Nicotinic Acid
- B6: P-5-P is better than Pyridoxine HCl
- B12: Methylcobalamin is better than Cyanocobalamin
If these vitamins are supplied in their superior forms, odds are so is the rest of the formula.
This will require personal research, but, for frame of reference, you can look to the % Daily Value measures on the Supplement Facts of Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men here.
No Proprietary Blends
If you can’t see the dosage levels at all, that’s a big red flag. Though vitamin and mineral amounts have to be shown, many supplements try to hide their ingredient dosages beneath catch-all “proprietary blends” as means of hiding their poor ingredient dosages from their buyers. Just avoid proprietary blends altogether.
No Synthetics or Artificial Additives
Look to the “Other Ingredients.” If it’s overburdened by a long list of what sounds like a bad science experiment, odds are you’re dealing with a poor-quality formula.
The NutriGenesis® Multi Advantage
What sets NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals apart from standard vitamin and mineral supplements is how NutriGenesis® complexes its micronutrients with natural cofactors, such as probiotics, fibers, enzymes, and antioxidants, to not only enhance ingredient absorption but to deliver a nature-identical formula that’s easy on the gut. Unnatural, hard-to-absorb ingredients can be tough on the gut, especially for users with sensitive stomach issues who often have problems with multivitamin supplements.
NutriGenesis® is designed for comfort via a vegan-friendly, eco-friendly process. Great for users of all dietary lifestyles.
List of Key Vitamins and Minerals for Senior Male Health
All essential vitamins and minerals are important for sustaining your health and performance. However, for male health and performance, you’ll need to focus specifically on the following ingredients:
Perhaps the manliest mineral around, Zinc is required by the male body to produce testosterone, the key male hormone for male sexual health and anabolic muscle growth. Though important to all people, zinc is an essential element of male vitality, with research suggesting healthy zinc levels correlate with healthy serum testosterone concentration, sperm production, sperm quality, and fertility.
Men who are physically active tend to receive greater sunlight exposure and thus have healthy Vitamin D levels. However, on the flipside, having healthy vitamin D levels contributes to greater physical activity and male vitality, given vitamin D’s direct correlation status in relation to testosterone activity. Either way, receiving adequate vitamin D via both sunlight and diet is key for men to sustain a healthy, active lifestyle.
One of the more common mineral deficiencies, Magnesium deficiency affects several aspects of physical and cognitive health, considering magnesium’s key role in blocking overexcited brain activity and neural impulses. Sleep-disruptive muscle twitches and involuntary limb movements notoriously disrupt elderly sleep, cascading into a series of indirect negative health consequences. In a study on the interplay between magnesium and testosterone in modulating male physical function, a group of researchers noted that magnesium supplementation may help lessen age-related performance degradation.
Boron is an important trace mineral for its role in several pathways, including (1) bone growth and maintenance, (2) wound healing, (3) testosterone and estrogen balance, (4) magnesium absorption, and (5) regulation of inflammatory markers. Due to boron’s beneficial impact on magnesium absorption and vitamin D, this is a great mineral to synergize with the aforementioned ingredients for male health.
Though B6 may have a beneficial impact on testosterone, a total B Vitamin Complex is smart to add to your daily supplement routine namely for your cognitive health. For both seniors and vegans (and by that token: vegan seniors), B12-deficiency is a common condition. Supplementing all B-vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12) may help sustain and elevate cognitive performance, with some potential for physical improvement as well.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men
Splitting into two formula types (For Men and For Women), Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® delivers a comprehensive multivitamin stack for people of all dietary and athletic lifestyles, whether old or young. Let’s check out the formula:
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men Formula Analysis
- Vitamin A+ (as Retinol and Beta-Carotene), 600 mcg RAE
- Vitamin C+, 60 mg
- Vitamin D+, 25 mcg
- Vitamin E+, 20 mg
- Vitamin K+ (K1 & K2), 100 mcg
- Vitamin B1+, 8 mcg
- Vitamin B2+, 4 mg
- Niacin+, 20 mg NE
- Vitamin B6+, 4 mg
- Folate+, 668 mcg DFE
- Vitamin B12+, 50 mcg
- Biotin+, 300 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid+, 20 mg
- Calcium+, 18 mg
- Iron+, 2 mg
- Iodine+, 150 mcg
- Magnesium+, 17 mg
- Zinc+, 15 mg
- Selenium+, 125 mcg
- Copper+,5 mg
- Manganese+, 2 mg
- GTF Chromium+, 120 mcg
- Molybdenum+, 75 mcg
- Potassium+, 33 mg
- Inositol+, 25 mg
- Boron+, 1 mg
- Vanadium+, 10 mcg
Food processing, factory farming, artificial preservatives—there are several depleting factors to explain why the modern diet is less nutrient-dense than it needs to be.
And though multivitamin supplements are intended to make up the difference here, many multivitamins fail to deliver due to poor formula design, absorption rates, and all-around inferior ingredient quality.
This is where Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men comes into play.
Unlike standard multivitamins, Performance Lab® uses proprietary NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals complexed with natural cofactors to enhance their bioavailability and health-supportive bio-activities. Though lab-synthesized, NutriGenesis® nutraceuticals are nature-identical, meaning that they register in the body as healthy, all-natural compounds.
This is further aided by Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men’s use of plant-based NutriCaps® capsules, a capsule type constructed out of fermented tapioca, or pullulan.
This combo of NutriGenesis® and NutriCaps® qualifies Multi for Men’s status as the cleanest, greenest, and most effective multivitamin stack you can buy.
Altogether, Multi for Men supplies all the essential vitamins and minerals for overall health and performance, with additional emphasis on key nutrients important to senior male health, delivered in an eco-friendly, vegan-friendly, synthetic-free formula.
No artificial additives or “hybrid” formula hijinks. Only the essentials here packed in a formula that actually works.
Before tackling all other nutritional health and performance concerns, you need to get your micronutrients straight.
By adding Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men to your daily routine, you’ll be setting a firmer nutritional foundation upon which to build a healthier, sturdier, more active lifestyle.
To fight age-related health and performance decline, replenish your micronutrients with a daily dose of Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men. Safe for consistent, long-term use.
- Fávaro-Moreira NC et al. Risk Factors for Malnutrition in Older Adults: A Systematic Review of the Literature Based on Longitudinal Data. Adv Nutr. 2016 May; 7(3): 507-522.
- Prasad AS et al. Zinc Status and Serum Testosterone Levels of Healthy Adults. Nutrition. 1996 May; 12(5): 344-8.
- Pilz S et al. Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Testosterone Levels in Men. Horm Metab Res. 2011 Mar; 43(3): 223-5.
- Maggio M et al. Magnesium and anabolic hormones in older men. Int J Androl. 2011 Dec; 34(6 0 2): e594-e600.
- Naghii MR et al. Comparative Effects of Daily and Weekly Boron Supplementation on Plasma Steroid Hormones and Proinflammatory Cytokines. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2011 Jan; 25(1): 54-8.
- Reay JL et al. B Vitamins and Cognitive Performance in Older Adults: Review. ISRN Nutr. 2013; 2013: 650983.
- Blumberg JB et al. The Evolving Role of Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement Use among Adults in the Age of Personalized Nutrition. Nutrients. 2018 Feb; 10(2): 248.
- Fallah A et al. Zinc is an Essential Element for Male Fertility: A Review of Zn Roles in Men’s Health, Germination, Sperm Quality, and Fertilization. J Reprod Infertil. 2018 Apr-Jun; 19(2): 69-81.
- Janssen HCJP et al. Determinants of Vitamin D Status in Healthy Men and Women Aged 40-80 Years. Maturitas. 2013 Jan; 74(1): 79-83.
- Maggio M et al. The Interplay between Magnesium and Testosterone in Modulating Physical Function in Men. Int J Endocrinol. 2014; 2014: 525249.
- Pizzorno L. Nothing Boring About Boron. Integr Med (Encinitas). 2015 Aug; 14(4): 35-48.
- Young LM et al. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of B Vitamin Supplementation on Depressive Symptoms, Anxiety, and Stress: Effects on Healthy and ‘At-Risk’ Individuals. Nutrients. 2019 Sep; 11(9): 2232.