Are you eating enough?
Is your diet complete and rich in nutrients or full of sugar?
Are you eating your vegetables at least a few times a day??
Whether the answer is yes or now, we can all agree that these questions and demands about health that were hen-pecked into us in childhood don’t go away in adulthood.
If anything, the importance of “eating your veggies” and “getting enough nutrients” and “taking a nap” increase past a certain stage of adulthood.
For men over 50, it's a fact that maintaining a totally healthy and whole-food diet can be a struggle.
Of course, we find a way to make it work, but even so...
...compounded by our increased difficulty in absorbing and retaining vitamins and minerals, modern food processing has nutritionally depleted many of our foods, making the average meal less nutrient-dense than is healthy for us.
This is why, in addition to seeking a diet that contains raw, organic, whole-food choices, many men are also looking into an effective multivitamin supplement to fill the nutritional voids in their diet and physiology.
In this article, we cover the Best Multivitamin for Men Over 50, as well as a few of the most important, trusted and essential vitamins and minerals that help support male health, nutrition and fitness.
The Beginner’s Guide on Multivitamins for Men Aged 50+
As we age, the pressures to apply our learned wisdom to our immediate lives increases. After all, we’ve made it this far, so you’d think we’d know a thing or two about how to get by in good health and happiness, right?
Well, let’s hope so, because you’re going to need that wisdom as age-related cognitive and physical decline begins to kick in!
Everyone ages. And one of the key components of aging, in addition to an accumulation of wisdom, is the increased risk of malnutrition - a condition defined by poor nutritional status.
The risk factors for malnutrition in senior men are many, ranging from cognitive decline and emotional imbalance to poor appetite and weak physical function.
- Age-related cognitive and physical decline both contributes to and is fueled by a poor nutrient status, which is why we have to get clever with the source of our nutrient intake methods as we age over 50.
One such effective strategy for maintaining a healthy nutrient foundation in our later adulthood is to take a multivitamin supplement. Especially one that emphasizes the key vitamins and minerals necessary to support male health and virility.
List of Key Vitamins and Minerals for Men Over 50
Men and women, young and old, require virtually the same micronutrients. However, men, especially older men, require a greater amount of certain nutrients for their health, namely those that help to support and assist with the production and activity of male sex hormone testosterone.
Here are those nutrients for men:
- Zinc: as a raw precursor to testosterone production, zinc is perhaps the manliest mineral and directly correlates with testosterone status.
- Magnesium: in addition to interplaying with testosterone in modulating male physical function, magnesium also assists with healthy sleep patterns, making this mineral particularly important to older men with common sleep issues.
- Boron: an often-overlooked trace mineral, boron plays a unique role in male health by inhibiting excess activity of aromatase, an enzyme responsible for converting testosterone into female sex hormone estrogen.
- Vitamin D: similar to zinc, vitamin D directly correlates with testosterone status, meaning that low vitamin D is associated with low T activity; however, the exact mechanism of vitamin D’s role in testosterone health is somewhat unknown.
- B-Vitamin Complex: as a water-soluble collection of vitamins, B-vitamins aren’t stored in the body and thus must be consumed daily to maintain adequate levels, given that poor B-vitamin correlates with poor cognitive health and performance.
In addition to these male-essential vitamins and minerals, you can find all the essential micronutrients for total health and performance in Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men, the Best Multivitamin for Men Over 50.
Here’s a brief glance at this powerful, all-natural multivitamin stack for men.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men
NutriGenesis® Multi for Men benefits mature male health by:
- Providing foundational nutritional support for total whole-body biological performance, maintenance, and vitality.
- Replenishing micronutrient levels lost to the age-relation depletion of key vitamins and minerals associated with optimal metabolic performance.
- Promoting the production and activity of testosterone, the key hormone for sexual health and performance and anabolic muscle gains.
- Protecting cognitive health and performance against the harms of heightened homocysteine activity and neurotransmitter decline.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men delivers all the essential micronutrients for overall health, vitality, and immunity. With a special emphasis on the key vitamins and minerals for men aged 50 and over.
Packed in all-natural NutriCaps® capsules, Multi for Men’s all-natural NutriGenesis® formula is easy to absorb and easy on the gut, leaving all synthetics and artificial additives by the wayside.
For all ages, acquiring sufficient dietary micronutrients is difficult enough. However, as we age, the problem is compounded by age-related difficulties in vitamin and mineral absorption - and finding their best source.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men helps combat micronutrient absorption inefficiencies with bioavailability-enhanced NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals, a class of micronutrients complexed with natural, absorption-enhancing cofactors.
The result: a healthier multivitamin supplement for greater health results.
NutriGenesis® Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamin A+ (as Retinol and Beta-Carotene), Vitamin C+, Vitamin D+, Vitamin E+, Vitamin K+ (K1 & K2), Vitamin B1+, Vitamin B2+, Niacin+, Vitamin B6+, Folate+, Vitamin B12+, Biotin+, Pantothenic Acid+, Calcium+, Iron+, Iodine+, Magnesium+, Zinc+, Selenium+, Copper+, Manganese+, GTF Chromium+, Molybdenum+, Potassium+, Inositol+, Boron+, Vanadium+
Continue reading to learn more about the importance of taking a multivitamin after you turn 50, as well as what distinguishes a good multivitamin supplement from an ineffective one to buy.
What Happens When Men Turn 50?
Beyond our twenties, as we get older, our body undergoes many good and bad changes. Of course, the source of these changes depends on your lifestyle habits and inherent physical make-up, and it's a fact that your mileage may vary.
However, typically, regardless of any variance, a few of the more frustrating changes that occur in later adulthood include:
- Impaired Anabolic Gains – muscle growth, movement, and flexibility tend to decline beyond the age of 50, requiring additional anabolic support and maintenance via increased exercise and nutritional support.
- Declined Sexual Health – both in terms of sexual interest and sexual prowess, male sexual health sees a gradual dip beyond the age of 50.
- Lower Testosterone Count – of course, linked to impaired muscle performance and sexual health is a general reduction in free and total levels of testosterone, the main male sex hormone for male health, performance, and cognition.
- Cognitive Instability – poor mental performance, memory, emotional stability—as we age, our mental “farts” and “hiccups” become more noticeably pronounced and frequent in ways that are linked to nutritional status.
These are the more outward manifestations of aging, a complex physiological process affected by any number of health, lifestyle and genetic factors.
Though our culture tends to have an unfortunately negative attitude towards aging, mitigating the more life-disruptive consequences of aging through proper fitness and nutrition as well as the best multivitamin and supplements may significantly improve life quality for men over 50.
The Male Health Benefits of Taking a Men's Multivitamin Supplement Once a Day
Under conditions of micronutrient deficiency, taking a multivitamin once or twice a day can significantly help improve various measures of health and fitness.
For men over 50, this may involve improving:
- Metabolic Performance
- ATP Energy Metabolism
- Hormonal Balance
- Cardiovascular Health
- Immune Function
- Bone and Joint Health
- Brain and Nervous System Health
- Anabolic Muscle Growth and Function
- Skin, Nail, and Hair Health
And many other mental and physical outcomes associated with healthy aging.
What Men Must Remember: The Best Multivitamins are Supplements, Not Meal Replacements
Though highly processed foods tend to be high in energy (calories), low in cost, and low in nutrient-density, this doesn’t mean that you should augment or source your ultra-processed diet with a multivitamin supplement. Ideally, you should redirect your diet plan towards more whole-food, nutrient-dense foods—with an emphasis on protein-rich, leafy green, multi-grain meals—and include a multivitamin supplement as a supplementary source of essential micronutrients.
Just about every certified dietitian and trusted doctor would agree that multivitamin supplements can help you augment (not replace) a healthy diet.
Stack with Performance Lab® Energy to Optimize Your Energy Levels
In the same way our micronutrient status naturally declines with age, so do our energy and vitality levels—and in ways that caffeine can’t correct.
This is where Performance Lab® Energy, an all-natural stim-free energy booster formula comes into play for men.
Unlike caffeine and other stimulant supplements, Performance Lab® Energy contains a formula that actually improves energy production at the cellular level by supplying a rich mix of mitochondrial antioxidants that protect and promote the natural synthesis of ATP, the body’s basic unit of energy.
Sparking cell energy synthesis, protecting mitochondria and promoting mitochondrial biogenesis, Performance Lab® Energy is the perfect accompaniment to NutriGenesis® Multi for Men’s all-natural multivitamin stack.
Supplement Facts: Acetyl L-Carnitine (from Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL), Microencapsulated Bio-Enhanced® R-Lipoic Acid, MicroActive® Q10 (Coenzyme Q10), BioPQQ® (Pyrroloquinoline quinone [PQQ]), BioPerine® Black Pepper Extract
Learn more about the Best Energy Supplements here.
Get the Best Deal on Performance Lab® Energy Here.
The Source of Nutrition: What One Should Look for in an Effective Men’s Health Multivitamin
Not all multivitamins and supplements are equal, even aside from the key differences between men’s and women’s multivitamin formulas. On a base level, regardless of the “type” of multivitamin you’re looking for, it’s important consider the following aspects of a multivitamin product before you buy:
- Quality – are all the ingredients high quality and easy-to-absorb forms?
- Quantity – are the ingredient count and dosages over, under, or just right?
- Proprietary – can you see all the ingredient dosages or are they hidden?
- Cleanliness – are the additives (“Other Ingredients”) minimal and all-natural?
- Affordability – does the price match the value?
Below, we detail the formula of Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men, the cleanest, most effective multivitamin supplement for men, which serves as a model for what to look for in an effective men’s health multivitamin.
NutriGenesis®’s Nature-Identical Vitamins and Minerals for Older Men
Absorption is a major issue when it comes to micronutrient supplements—and, really, all types of supplements. NutriGenesis® helps enhance micronutrient rate of absorption and bioavailability by complexing its lab-cultured, nature-identical vitamins and minerals with natural cofactors, such as probiotics, fibers, enzymes, and antioxidants.
Not only does this make NutriGenesis® one of the most potent and bioavailability sources of micronutrient sustenance, but it also makes Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men one of the safest and healthiest formulas out of all the certified multivitamins and supplements to buy, even for men with exceptionally sensitive stomachs.
List of Key Vitamins and Minerals for Men Over 50
The best way to ensure men are getting enough male-specific vitamins and minerals is to take a comprehensive multivitamin stack. However, by focusing on the following vitamins and minerals in their multivitamins and supplements, men over 50 may specifically improve various measures of male health and performance:
A major man-mineral, Zinc is a chemical element with the symbol Zn and atomic number 30 on the Periodic Table of Elements, and it’s a necessary precursor for the synthesis of testosterone. Zinc status directly correlates with testosterone status, which is why zinc is considered an essential element for male fertility and vitality.
It’s also the second most abundant trace mineral in the body, and one that can’t be stored in the body, so regular dietary zinc intake in multivitamins or supplements is important.
Magnesium deficiency is fairly common among older men and athletes, given the poor absorption rates of common dietary magnesium forms and the release of magnesium via sweat. As a cognitive and muscle relaxant, magnesium is important in facilitating healthy sleep patterns; however, for older men in particular, magnesium levels are strongly and independently associated with anabolic hormones testosterone and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1).
A generally underappreciated mineral for both male and female sexual health, Boron seems to optimize testosterone and estrogen activity potentially by regulating the function of aromatase, an enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to estrogen. According to research, consistent boron consumption has been associated with an increased level of free testosterone among men.
Similar to zinc, Vitamin D seems to directly correlate with testosterone status, in such a way that when vitamin D levels are down, there follows (or precedes—because “correlation”) a drop in healthy testosterone activity. Unlike other vitamins and minerals, vitamin D is unique in that, in addition to acquiring it through the diet, vitamin D is also synthesized in the body when exposed to sunlight. So, for older men in areas of poor sunlight exposure, taking a vitamin D supplement is especially important to support and maintain healthy testosterone levels—as well as bone health and immunity.
Everyone’s familiar with B-Vitamins, a unique class of water-soluble vitamins associated with positive mood and cognitive performance. Typically found in energy drinks for their balancing effects against caffeine and catecholamine depletion, B-vitamins are a smart vitamin class to add to your daily intake for a number of reasons: (1) because they’re water-soluble, we need a regular supply of B-vitamins to maintain healthy levels, (2) as co-facilitators in neurotransmitter synthesis, B-vitamins help support and maintain healthy cognitive function, and (3) B12-deficiency is common among older men and may significantly impair cognition.
Taking a comprehensive B-vitamin complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, and B12) may help combat age-related cognitive decline, particularly as it relates to the age-related decline in healthy B12 levels.
Top Multivitamin for Men Over 50:
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men
Get your vitamins, get your minerals, get your Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men stack of the best vitamins and minerals for men over 50.
Supplying 17+ essential micronutrients with a gender-specific emphasis on vitamins and minerals required by male health, NutriGenesis® Multi for Men can be taken daily to ensure your vitamin and mineral levels are up to par for a healthy, active lifestyle.
Which all sounds great, but let’s see how this works by taking a deeper look into the formula and what it contains.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men Formula Analysis
- Vitamin A+ (as Retinol and Beta-Carotene), 600 mcg RAE
- Vitamin C+, 60 mg
- Vitamin D+, 25 mcg
- Vitamin E+, 20 mg
- Vitamin K+ (K1 & K2), 100 mcg
- Vitamin B1+, 8 mcg
- Vitamin B2+, 4 mg
- Niacin+, 20 mg NE
- Vitamin B6+, 4 mg
- Folate+, 668 mcg DFE
- Vitamin B12+, 50 mcg
- Biotin+, 300 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid+, 20 mg
- Calcium+, 18 mg
- Iron+, 2 mg
- Iodine+, 150 mcg
- Magnesium+, 17 mg
- Zinc+, 15 mg
- Selenium+, 125 mcg
- Copper+,5 mg
- Manganese+, 2 mg
- GTF Chromium+, 120 mcg
- Molybdenum+, 75 mcg
- Potassium+, 33 mg
- Inositol+, 25 mg
- Boron+, 1 mg
- Vanadium+, 10 mcg
Calibrated for men’s specific nutritional needs, Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men stacks 17+ essential daily vitamins and minerals with whole-food natural co-factors, such as probiotics, fibers, enzymes, and antioxidants, for optimal micronutrient absorption.
Any formula can supply all the essential male-important vitamins and minerals; however, few multivitamins and supplements manage to do it right by avoiding inferior micronutrient forms, weak dosages, and poor absorption rates.
Inferior isolated and synthetic micronutrients are difficult to absorb and thus fail to replenish deplete vitamin and mineral levels. Likewise, “hybrid” multivitamin formulas that try to do too much, such as pairing micronutrients with nootropics or stimulants in a single formula, risk negative ingredient interactions and poor absorption rates.
By solely focusing on what’s important, both in terms of quality and quantity, Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men sets a firm nutritional foundation for optimal male health and vitality.
Clean, green micronutrients delivered in prebiotic-infused NutriCaps® capsules, Multi for Men is a vegan-friendly, eco-friendly, synthetic-free multivitamin safe for daily, long-term use for men of all ages, health levels, and dietary lifestyles.
Conclusion - Pros and Cons of Multivitamins for Men
It's a fact that as we age, things come together while other things fall apart. In the latter category, we see the breakdown of the nutritional foundation that supports virtually every aspect of our health and fitness, from our athletic performance to our immunity.
Designed for male health and performance, Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men helps your nutrient levels come back together when we turn 50 and beyond, directly and indirectly resulting in a downstream cascade of many other positive health and lifestyle benefits.
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Men supplies all the distinctly beneficial micronutrients for men in addition to all the essential vitamins and minerals in a clean, healthy, and highly bioavailable multivitamin formula stack.
And for the women in your lives, there is the Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi for Women (learn more here), an ultramodern multivitamin formula that meets female-specific nutritional needs at the best price.
- Fávaro-Moreira ND et al. Risk Factors for Malnutrition in Older Adults: A Systematic Review of the Literature Based on Longitudinal Data. Adv Nutr. 2016 May; 7(3): 507-522.
- Prasad AS et al. Zinc Status and Serum Testosterone Levels of Healthy Adults. Nutrition. 1996 May; 12(5): 344-8.
- Maggio M et al. The Interplay between Magnesium and Testosterone in Modulating Physical Function in Men. Int J Endocrinol. 2014; 2014: 525249.
- Pizzorno L. Nothing Boring About Boron. Integr Med (Encinitas). 2015 Aug; 14(4): 35-48.
- Tirabassi G et al. Vitamin D and Male Sexual Function: A Transversal and Longitudinal Study. Int J Endocrinol. 2018; 2018: 3720813.
- Young LM et al. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of B Vitamin Supplementation on Depressive Symptoms, Anxiety, and Stress: Effects on Healthy and “At-Risk” Individuals. Nutrients. 2019 Sep; 11(9): 2232.
- Gupta S et al. Characterizing Ultra-Processed Foods by Energy Density, Nutrient Density, and Cost. Front Nutr. 2019; 6: 70.
- Fallah A et al. Zinc is an Essential Element for Male Fertility: A Review of Zn Roles in Men’s Health, Germination, Sperm Quality, and Fertilization. J Reprod Infertil. 2018 Apr-Jun; 19(2): 69-81.
- Maggio M et al. Magnesium and anabolic hormones in older men. Int J Androl. 2011 Dec; 34(6 0 2): e594-e600.
- Naghii MR et al. Comparative Effects of Daily and Weekly Boron Supplementation on Plasma Steroid Hormones and Proinflammatory Cytokines. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2011 Jan; 25(1): 54-8.
- Pilz S et al. Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Testosterone Levels in Men. Horm Metab Res. 2011 Mar; 43(3): 223-5.
- Stover PJ. Vitamin B12 and older adults. Curr Opin Nutr Metab Care. 2010 Jan; 13(1): 24-27.