Multivitamins build a strong nutritional foundation for peak human performance.
The multivitamin is the single most important dietary supplement you can take. Essential vitamins and minerals are required for growth, health and life vitality.
But the market is overloaded with low-quality multivitamins that are hard to absorb, loaded with synthetics, poorly calibrated and simply don't work.
This guide discusses vitamins and minerals for human performance, the most effective forms to take, and the top-rated multivitamin supplement on the market today.
Why a multivitamin?
Beyond supporting overall health in general, vitamins and minerals can:
- Maintain overall cardiovascular health and wellness
- Optimize food metabolism and cell energy production
- Supply antioxidant activity that helps fight cell aging
- Support brain health, cognitive function and mental clarity
- Strengthen bones, joints and connective tissues
- Encourage robust immune system performance
- Maintain overall nervous system health
- Promote healthy and resilient hair, skin and nails
And in our modern world, despite what a dietitian may say, relying on diet alone may fail to deliver the nutrition you need for peak performance.
Even those who strive to follow a healthy diet can fall short on nutritional essentials, due to modern factors including:
Mass agriculture – Modern farming practices may result in fruits and vegetables with less-than-optimal nutritional content.
One review of over five decades of agricultural data found that the nutritional content of commercially-grown produce has declined significantly over the years.1
Some specific fruit and vegetable nutritional shortfalls from the report's 1950 to 1999 analysis include:
- Cauliflower: 58.9% less iron
- Broccoli: 60% less calcium
- Spinach: 58.7% less vitamin C
- Green Peppers: 57% less riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- Honeydew Melon: 84.1% less iron
The research review authors attributed these foods nutritional decline to modern agriculture factors including:
- Soil depletion. Farming over time can deplete soil of nutrients
- Fruit & vegetable varieties. Large and visually appealing varieties sell more but may have less nutrition
- Hybrids. Produce made for fast-to-harvest growth has less nutrition
- Dilution Effect. Too many plants in one area reduces their nutrition
- Pesticides & herbicides. Reduce nutrition and raise risks
It's not just fruits and vegetables that appear to be less nutritious.
Some modern meat and dairy practices not only reduce beneficial nutrient content, but may even skew their nutrient ratios to unhealthy ranges.2
Your nutritional status may also be negatively impacted by:
- Bad diet - Eating unhealthy foods worsens all of the above concerns
- Some cooking methods - May reduce the nutritional content of foods3
- Aging - Nutrient absorption declines while nutrient needs rise4
- Stress - Can have a negative impact on overall nutritional status5
- Drug-induced depletion - Some prescriptions diminish key essentials6
In one large research review, the authors reported that most people fail to hit ideal intake of crucial vitamins and minerals from diet alone:7
- 34% fail to get enough Vitamin A
- 25% fail to get enough Vitamin C
- 70% fail to get enough Vitamin D
- 60% fail to get enough Vitamin E
- 38% fail to get enough Calcium
- 45% fail to get enough Magnesium
Not getting enough essential nutrients may be more significant to your health than you think.
Even mild nutrient shortfalls may raise risk for health concerns:
That's where a multivitamin supplement comes in.
“Suboptimal intake of some vitamins, above levels causing classic vitamin deficiency, is a risk factor for [health problems] and common in the general population.” – Journal of the American Medical Association8
Multi vitamin and mineral supplements help you to meet your daily nutrient requirements regardless of your diet or nutritional status.
Since vitamins and minerals are so crucial for overall health, the multivitamin must be the first step of any nutritional supplement program.
But what is the best kind of multivitamin to take?
How to Choose the Right Multivitamin
When looking for the best multivitamins, you will find that there are dozens of different products to choose from. It can be confusing.
Multivitamins come in many different variations, including:
Very popular, generally affordable and convenient. However, One-Daily multivitamins do have drawbacks.
In order to pack lots of nutrition into a single capsule or pill, once-daily supplements use synthetic nutrients that have a smaller molecular profile.
Synthetic nutrients are typically harder to absorb than their natural counterparts.9
Whole Food Multivitamins
Whole-food multivitamins supply natural nutrients, enzymes and trace elements from fruits, vegetables, herbs and mushrooms.
Natural nutrient forms are easy to absorb, but also have drawbacks: They are often presented as large hard-to-swallow pills, and may have GMOs and trace residues of pesticides and herbicides used in mass agriculture.
Hybrid products include vitamins and minerals plus additional nutrients intended for other targeted health categories.
For example, there are brain, energy, heart multivitamins and many others.
Hybrid multivitamins are the worst. Cramming too many ingredients into one capsule drives down the dosage of each one.
Multivitamins that try to do too much of everything ultimately fail at the one thing they must do: Restore nutritional status.
Considering the importance of your nutritional foundation, it's key to get it right. A dedicated, high-quality multivitamin is the best approach.
Even better, start with a good multivitamin and then stack-on a dedicated high-quality supplements for the brain, energy, joints and more.
We cover some smart multivitamin add-ons at the end of this guide.
Best Choice for 2020 - Cultured Multivitamins
Cultured nutrients are grown on natural cultures in a sterile, tightly controlled laboratory setting.
Cultured nutrients combine the convenience of One-Daily products with the easy-to-absorb structure of whole-food nutrients.
Because they are lab-grown, cultured nutrients are clean from start to finish. They do not require pesticides, herbicides or other toxins associated with some whole-food sourced nutrients.
Cultured nutrients are also the most eco-friendly form on the market.
- Cultured vitamins and minerals
- Delivered in a clean capsule
- Dosed appropriately for adults
- Calibrated for men's and women's distinct nutritional needs
Let's run down the list of 27 crucial nutrients and minerals and touch upon some of their most important areas of support.
27 Multivitamin Essentials for Healthy Human Performance
- Vitamin A - Required for healthy cell growth; supports vision performance and immune function.
- Vitamin C - Supports collagen for muscles, bones, and blood vessels; helps immune function, antioxidant status and eye health
- Vitamin D - Helps calcium absorption for bone health and skeletal strength. Promotes skin and heart health; bolsters immune system
- Vitamin E - Fat-soluble antioxidant vitamin for cardiovascular, eye, skin, and immune system health
- Vitamin K - Required for blood clotting. Linked with cardiovascular performance, blood sugar balance, bone metabolism
- Vitamin B1 (thiamin) - Supports brain health and nervous system function, energy metabolism, immune function
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - Helps convert food into cell energy, promotes nervous system function, antioxidant status, vision
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) - Supports energy metabolism, hormonal health, circulation, nervous system, blood sugar balance
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) - Supports red blood cell production, digestive function, glucose conversion for cell energy
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - Helps brain chemicals, cognition, energy, nervous system, heart health/circulatory function
- Vitamin B7 (biotin) - Promotes healthy hair, skin and nails; supports amino acid metabolism and cell energy production
- Vitamin B9 (folate) - Helps convert food into energy; supports brain health, mood, reproductive health, heart health
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) - Sparks cell energy, supports brain chemicals and cognition, circulation, vision and skin health
- Boron - Promotes bone health and skeletal strength, healthy testosterone production, cognitive function, muscle function
- Calcium - Most prevalent mineral in the body supports bone health, nervous system function, muscle contraction, hormone balance
- Chromium - Regulates insulin and helps maintain blood sugar balance; may assist with healthy weight management
- Copper - Helps cells' mitochondria power plants produce ATP for life energy; helps form enzymes in the body
- Iodine - Essential nutrient required for the production of hormones by the thyroid gland
- Inositol - Helps form cell membranes, regulate brain chemicals and promote mood balance
- Iron - Enables red blood cells to transport oxygen; key for cell energy and peak athletic performance
- Magnesium - Cofactor for 300+ biological reactions; helps bones, nerves, muscles, heart rhythm and energy
- Manganese - Supports bone strength and joint health; helps metabolize carbs, amino acids and cholesterol
- Molybdenum - Trace mineral plays a role in protein metabolism and enzyme function
- Potassium - Electrolyte that supports cell-to-cell signaling, fluid balance and muscle function
- Selenium - Antioxidant for robust immune function; supports thyroid hormone, heart health, brain health
- Vanadium - Trace mineral cofactor for multiple enzymatic reactions in the body; helps bone and cardiovascular health
- Zinc - Optimizes immune system performance, eye health, athletic performance, thyroid function, wound healing
The above vitamins and minerals give you the most crucial essentials you need to achieve robust health and peak human performance.You can make these vitamins and minerals work even better by getting them in a form that maximizes their potential.
Best Vitamin and Mineral Form: NutriGenesis®
NutriGenesis® is the best cultured nutrient form on the market today.
The patented NutriGenesis® process grows vitamins, minerals and amino acids in a clean lab setting on natural growth mediums that mirrors whole-food nutrient production:
- Vitamins, minerals and aminos are bioengineered into "seeds". Nutrient salts are infused in a protein+sugar matrix ("seed");
- Nutrient seeds are "planted": Introduced into growth culture (probiotics or Brewer's yeast) that acts as plant tissue scaffolding;
- Nutrients are "grown". Within the scaffolding, seeds absorb nourishment and water. Cells divide and thrive; vitamins, minerals and aminos grow;
- Harvest. When cultures hit target vitamin and mineral concentrations, they are collected, washed, purified, spray-dried and made into supplements
Because they are grown and not synthesized, NutriGenesis® nutrients' molecular structures match what is found in foods.
As a result, the body recognizes NutriGenesis® as whole-food nutrition: Highly absorbable, bioavailable and easy to utilize.
NutriGenesis® has additional advantages over other vitamin and mineral forms:
Safe and clean: Unlike whole-food nutrients, NutriGenesis® nutrients require no pesticides or herbicides to produce. NutriGenesis® is free of toxins, microbes and contaminants by design.
Better for the planet: NutriGenesis® has virtually zero carbon footprint and little environmental impact, especially when compared to factory farming for phytonutrients and strip mining for minerals.
The best multivitamins use NutriGenesis® because they are the cleanest, most efficient and effective nutrients for restoring peak biological function.
Best Overall Multivitamin Supplement:
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi supplies NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals in gender-specific multivitamin supplements calibrated for men's and women's distinct nutritional needs:
- Foundational nutritional support for healthy whole-body biological performance*
- Supports daily vitality and long-range overall health*
- Customized for men and women; gender-specific dosages and hormonal support*
- Stacks seamlessly with all other Performance Lab® formulas
- Builds the nutritional foundation that empowers all Performance Lab® supplements to reach their full potential
NutriGenesis® is the cleanest, healthiest and easiest-to-absorb multivitamin supplement ever developed:
- Supplies 27 vitamins and minerals, including 100%+ Daily Value of the 17 most important nutritional essentials
- All NutriGenesis® vitamins and minerals are bound with absorption-enhancing whole-food cofactors
- NutriGenesis® is completely free of hard-to-absorb synthetic nutrients and isolated nutrient forms
- Delivered in 100% plant-based, prebiotic-infused NutriCaps® for digestive health and comfort comfort*
- Ultraclean Performance Lab® design: No synthetic additives, colors or preservatives of any kind
Boost Nutritional Status Further with
NutriGenesis® Multi +
Performance Lab® Prebiotic
NutriGenesis® Multi + Prebiotic combines two supplement categories that work synergistically to raise nutritional status.
Prebiotic boosts probiotic Bifidobacterium in the gut that help to maximize NutriGenesis® Multi nutrients absorption and effects
Bifidobacterium probiotics enhance NutriGenesis® calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc absorption; as well as supporting natural synthesis of B-vitamins and vitamin K in the gut.
Prebiotic's key is Orafti® Synergy1: Oligofructose-enriched inulin (Inulin-FOS) from chicory root. This ultramodern plant fiber is the most effective and research-backed prebiotic ingredient on the market today.
- Research shows taking 10g of Orafti® Synergy1 per day boosts calcium absorption by 20% and magnesium absorption by 10%.10
Take NutriGenesis® Multi + Prebiotic to efficiently and naturally optimize your nutritional status. Together they form a powerful bio-performance stack that supports healthy performance across all cells, organs and body systems.
Prebiotic is Designed for Performance
- Helps digestive regularity, gut comfort, efficient nutrient absorption*
- Nourishes existing gut microbiome instead of adding new probiotics*
- Promotes healthy immune system performance in GI tract*
- Helps fat loss; controls appetite, reduces foods' caloric density*
Prebiotic is Healthy for Daily Use
- Orafti® Synergy1: Chicory root oligofructose-enriched inulin (Inulin-FOS)
- Helps to support heart health by regulating bad cholesterol absorption*
- Supports bone health by enhancing calcium absorption*
- 100% natural, plant-based and prebiotic-infused NutriCaps® from fermented tapioca
Enhance Cell Energy 2X with
NutriGenesis® Multi +
Performance Lab® Energy
At its core, NutriGenesis® Multi is designed to restore nutritional essentials that are required for healthy cell function -- including advanced support for the mitochondria power plants that generate energy in each cell.
Performance Lab® Energy is stim-free cell vitality. It augments NutriGenesis® Multi with mitochondria-boosters and more:
- Acetyl L-Carnitine (from Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL), 750 mg
- Microencapsulated Bio-Enhanced® R-Lipoic Acid, 150 mg
- MicroActive® Q10 (Coenzyme Q10), 100 mg
- BioPQQ® (Pyrroloquinoline quinone [PQQ]), 10 mg
- BioPerine® Black Pepper Extract (95% piperine), 2.5 mg
Take NutriGenesis® Multi + Performance Lab® Energy for fundamental and advanced cell energy support to unleash clean vitality for exceptional life performance.
Energy is Designed for Performance
- Stim-free booster promotes energy in cells’ mitochondria*
- Enhances vitality: Multiplies, protects and charges-up mitochondria*
- Optimizes fitness: Keeps energy in muscle, burns energy in fat*
- Supports efficient metabolic performance in all cells in the body*
Energy is Healthy for Daily Use
- Safe, natural and legal way to revitalize mental and physical performance*
- Stimulant-free energy for those who prefer to avoid or limit caffeine intake*
- Ultramodern energizers from MicroActive® Q10, BioPerine®, BioPQQ® and Bio-Enhanced®
- Delivered in plant-based, prebiotic-infused NutriCaps® from pullulan (fermented tapioca)
Optimize Nightly Cell Regeneration with
NutriGenesis® Multi +
Performance Lab® Sleep
Much like Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi natural support for optimal nutritional status, restful sleep is a universal health and performance enhancer.
Performance Lab® Sleep is the best natural sleep aid for promoting the deep, restful sleep that makes you better at everything you do.
With natural melatonin from muscle-soothing, sleep-inducing Montmorency Tart Cherry plus joint- and muscle-soothing support, Performance Lab® Sleep is a mind-body relaxer that instills and extends deep, regenerative sleep.
It also reinforces Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® magnesium with a unique 3X magnesium stack for extra-strength muscle relaxation support.
Performance Lab® Sleep is:
- Magnesium (as Bis-glycinate, Taurate, NutriGenesis®), 100 mg
- CherryPURE® (Whole Montmorency Tart Cherry), 500 mg
- TryptoPure® L-Tryptophan, 250 mg
Take NutriGenesis® Multi + Performance Lab® Sleep to support the nutritional status and restorative slumber you need for peak human performance, every day.
Sleep is Designed for Performance
- Encourages drowsiness by raising melatonin and serotonin*
- Accelerates sleep onset by relaxing muscles and nerves*
- Soothes sleep-disruptive spasms, aches and involuntary limb movements*
- Enhances nightly cell renewal for revitalized next-day performance*
- Stabilizes circadian rhythm against late-night screentime*
- Helps correct irregular sleep patterns and restore reliable sleep*
Sleep is Healthy for Daily Use
- Natural melatonin from CherryPURE® Montmorency tart cherry
- Safe, clean sleep support – no groggy synthetic side effects
- Delivered in 100% plant-based, prebiotic-infused NutriCaps® from pullulan (fermented tapioca)
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi is the best product on the market today for restoring nutritional wellness and building a strong foundation for peak human performance.
You cannot buy Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi at Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Amazon or any other drugstore retailers or other sellers. You can only get it right here.
Order Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Multi today. Get multiple bottles to qualify for free shipping. And stack on additional Performance Lab® formulas from CORE and SPORT lines to unleash your full performance potential.